Monday, December 10, 2012

The Grinch

Every year at my job they do a contest encouraging people to maintain, not necessarily lose, weight during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.  It's called "The Grinch Stole Pounds".  You weigh in prior to Thanksgiving and weigh in again sometime in January.  If you at least maintained your weight you get a small prize and are entered into a drawing for a bigger prize.  Seeing as how I have about 10 pounds I am dying to shed, I figured why not.  I managed to lose half a pound over Thanksgiving break, but have since gained a full pound back :(   Our Employee Health office sends out emails regularly during this season with helpful tips to help us reach our goal during this contest.  I figured I would share the latest email with y'all because I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to watch her weight this Christmas season:



Good afternoon!


As you purchase your holiday snacks, please review this list for some healthier choices:


Instead of…. (Enjoy)…

Fried tortilla chips Baked tortilla chips (reduced sodium version)

Regular potato chips Pretzels or low-fat potato chips

High-fat cookies and crackers Graham crackers, rice cakes, fig bars, ginger snaps

Regular baked goods Baked goods made with unsaturated oil, egg whites or egg substitutes and fat-free milk

Devil’s food cake Angel food cake

Ice cream bars Frozen fruit bars

Ice cream Sherbet, frozen low-fat yogurt

Pudding made with whole milk Pudding made with fat-free milk

Doughnut Bagel



Enjoy your holiday snacks, but make good choices when you can! Remember: don’t over-eat the “good” snacks – they still have calories.

The GRINCH

No comments: